Introducing GSBA’s Community Leadership Learning Academy specifically designed as a member service for school boards and school districts in Georgia. The purpose of this Academy is to empower school districts to educate communities on how and why a school system operates. A well-informed community in turn supports the work and direction of public schools.
Volunteer Instructional Leadership Learning Academy – VILLA
To equip parent volunteers and community leaders to confidently navigate the school system.
In this program administered by the school district, the leaders in your community will learn about operations, budgeting, history, school law, technology and curriculum. This is a six-course program with supplemental handouts and homework customized to each specific school district. Courses one-four are 90-minute training sessions with PowerPoints and handouts. Course five is a field trip. Course six is the graduation.
Interactive Six-Course Toolkit:
Click the links below to view power points to rebrand for your district and handout examples for what to include in each course.
- The Lay of the Land (Goal: To understand the makeup of your school and school system)
- Decade Recap of the Local School District
- Education Operations
- Financial Operations
- Field Trip!
- Fillable invitation for the school district to use to invite parent leaders. VILLA will provide a template invitation for the school system to add in the name, date and time of training, as well as location and child care opportunities (if provided).
- A variety of ads to be used in district publications and social media to advertise the opportunity for training.
Questions for the school district to consider:
- How are you going to sign people up?
- How are you going to market the program to attract the parents you desire?
- Are principals going to specifically invite parents from their school?
- What type of child care resources can you provide?
For more information and questions please contact:
Lisa Marie Haygood